09 November 2013

How

How?
How is it still possible for it to hurt so much?
How can I still think of you so often?
How can I be fine one second and destroyed the next?
When will this end?

I find myself getting lost in thoughts that are meaningless
Like why your profile picture is now the one you took for me that summer
The one you know full well is my favorite
I remember that day so vividly
The stories, the anticipation, those glasses

I start to wonder if you’ve set a date for the wedding
And what kind of dress she will wear
Or if you’ll serve South Africa wines
Will you get married in the spring as a metaphor for the new life you’ll start together
Or will your emotions get the best of you as you declare autumn the most beautiful season of all

I wonder if Izzy is still a secret ninja fighter now that she’s grown up
And if Olive is still in Europe soaking up all the world has to offer
I wonder if you still forget to pay your electric bill from time to time
Of if you still have dance parties by yourself
I wonder if you still talk to Wayne

And then like a Tsunami, my emotions get the best of me
Tears cloud my eyes and I stop breathing
The pain in my heart seems so endless, so all consuming
And I can’t bear the idea of it going on forever

I’ve done everything possible to forget you
Disconnected in every way I could
Boxed up your memories, erased your number
Deleted every message, voicemail, and photo I could find

And yet there you are
Hidden in the depths
Lurking in the corner
The noose shrinks ever closer and I swell with fear

Afraid that no one will ever see me the way you saw me
Afraid that no one will ever love about me what you did
Or worse that I will never love anyone else the way I loved you

You always hated when I got nostalgic
When I looked back on the past or tossed around memories
You hated the way I held onto things
You probably hated the way I held onto you
Maybe that’s why you left

So I sit here alone like I always do and wonder how
How is it possible for it to still hurt this much?

No comments:

Post a Comment